Monday, May 23, 2016

"We're Gonna Make This Place Your Home": Freshman Year in Review

Timidly shuffling into my freshman year of college might have been one of the most frightening and nerve-racking experiences of my life. Sure I was excited to take on the new experiences that the undergrad life had to offer, but the fears overwhelmed me like an overflowing river. Looking back at the very day when I waved goodbye to the place I had called home for eighteen years and to my loving parents, I now experience that same feeling again...except, it is to my DePauw home (and that's just after one year).

Of course, everyone told me that DePauw would become my home, but for the first couple of months, I was skeptical. The introverted and shy person I was defined as made it difficult the adapt to my new environment. However, less than a year later, it aches my heart to leave for just a few months.

There were so many things I never thought I would experiences in my freshman year that I did.

I never thought I would cheer in college, but I do, (s/o to my cheer fam, who I'm so excited to cheer another season with) and I am so happy to do something I loved so much in high school.

I never thought I would join a sorority, let alone become vice president of communications for the chapter, but I did, and I gained over 100 sisters who I love more than anything in the world (#AnchoredForLife).

I never thought I would sit in the hallway with my floor mates and play Cards Against Humanity or just talk about life so late into the night, but I did...on almost a weekly basis.

And all of the little memories I hold within me have made my first year at DePauw so magical and unreal.

And do you know what's crazy about it all? I posted a picture on Instagram a few days back. It was a collage of myself with all of my friends and the experiences I had this past year. I came to the realization that a year ago, I did not know a single person in that collage. It was a mind blowing thing to realize that these people become so important in my life in just a few months. That's the definition of college, I guess.

For the first time in my life, I am counting the days until I go back to school to see all of my friends. I think that it is the most telling part about all of this. DePauw is my home, and I try not to think about the fact that I will only get to spend four years in this lovely place.

I come back to Indy with an album of memories tucked in the back of my mind, ready to burst open at any glimpse at a picture from this past year, text from a DePauw friend, or look towards my future as a sophomore. Oh the memories that I have made and the memories that will come.

Sure my catastrophic RBF (Resting Bitch Face) may be deceiving, but the memories from every day, whether they pushed my back two steps or encouraged me forward three, I hold within me. I spread a smile across my face when I think about this year. That is how I really feel.

DePauw: I have made this place my home.

Let's do it again next year.

Molly Steckler
 

No comments:

Post a Comment