Saturday, June 7, 2014
Thrift Store Shopping
Thrift store shopping is a crazy and seemingly overwhelming experience for many people. For many it seems just too difficult or others don't want to buy something that someone has warn for a while. Thrift stores, are like an adventure though. You can find some amazing pieces from thrift stores for just a couple dollars. They are great for those on a money crunch. Here are my tips for shopping at the thrift store.
1. Don't rush. When you plan on going to the thrift store, make sure you have an adequate amount of time to shop. There are a lot of clothes, and you can find the best pieces when you take your time. If you rush you also may buy something you don't really need but just want for the price.
2. Shop on Mondays. The beginning of the week is the best time to shop at a drug store. Many people will drop off their used clothes during the weekend, so head up to your local thrift store in the beginning of the week to get the best clothes.
3. Try everything on! I don't know how many times I have purchased something from the thrift store and wishing I hadn't because it doesn't fit or it isn't comfortable. Make sure to try on everything just so you are sure you like it.
4. Check for stains/rips. Unless you like your clothes being stained or ripped, make sure to thoroughly check the clothes you purchase for stains or rips. It's very depressing to later find out there is a rip on the elbow of your shirt. Prevent this by checking through your clothing to present any mishaps.
5. Think outside the box. Thrift stores are a fashion designer's haven. A faded pair of jeans can totally be spiced up by cutting them into shorts and dip dying them. Be creative when you go to the thrift shop. If you love how an item fits but you don't like the look of it, try and find a new way to cut it up and make it cute. Plus, whenever I make my own pieces from thrift store I feel so proud of myself.
Hopefully these tips help you for the next time to go thrift shopping. Thrift shopping can be super fun. Make the afternoon of it to find some unique pieces for a great price.
Picture from here.