Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Skincare

 
I'm the type of person who has always been quite hesitant about change. I like routine and would rather not break it. Sometimes I'm completely opposite of that, though. Sometimes I just want to go out and try everything, like with skincare...until recently (see that transition I did there? *raises eyebrows* I thought it was rather clever...not really...I just couldn't think of anything. Anyway...). For the past ten years (maybe more) I have loved experimenting with skincare. Though I had constant struggles of trying to find the best products to combat the different issues on my face, I secretly also enjoyed trying out so many new things. I was determined to find something that worked for me, that wasn't prescribed by a dermatologist. I felt that to be too limiting, and prescription products are always so expensive. I knew I could find a cheaper alternative.
I never thought I would reach a point in my life when I could say that I found a routine that I really liked and didn't plan on changing any time soon, but I have. Yeah it may just be skincare, but this sweet moment for me is something I think everyone wants to achieve. Everyone wants to feel comfortable in their skin and everyone deserves to. There is no worry, when going to the gym, that I should have put on concealer to hide that giant spot. It's the comfort of spending a whole week not wearing makeup and not having the slightest bit of insecurity about it.

Another bonus, I feel like I have been able to have a lot more fun with makeup. My better skin has given me such an easier canvas to work with. I have transitioned from trying to hide this and that, to experimenting and playing with colors and techniques With that being said, I wanted to share with you all what my favorite skincare products have been. These may change, but I have stuck with these products for three months and can't imagine anything better for myself (at the moment.) A lot more goes into skincare other than makeup remover, face wash, treatments, and moisturizer, but these have become my ride-or-die product basics.

My skin type: oily t-zone (forehead, nose, chin), slightly dry cheeks, acne prone (hormonal and other), sensitive all over

Step 1: Makeup Removal

I've always thought it was important to first remove your makeup before cleansing your face. It's really hard to wash your actual face if you've got all of that makeup in the way. I have two products that I switch back and forth between. The first is the Up&Up Makeup Removing Cleansing Towlets. They are by far the best makeup remover wipes I have every used because they are super wet and non-irritating on the skin. I like to use these when I'm super lazy and just want to take all of my makeup off fast, and I use them when I travel.


My second option is a recent addiction, but already much loved. The Garnier Micellar Water is what I have been reaching for most days. It's super gentle on the skin, and I love how you an better control how much product you need (as apposed to makeup remover wipes, which restrict you to the size of the wipe). Both are lovely products and affordable.


Step 2: Cleanse

I went back and forth between using high end and drugstore cleansers for such a long time, but finally I settled on the Philosophy Purity Made Simple Cleanser. I found it useless to use cleansers with any active ingredients in them (like salicylic acid of acne) since it's only on the skin for a minute or two, so I decided to go with something very simple. I also use several treatments on my skin after cleansing, so it's best to begin with a gentle cleanser. This is a great cleanser for any skin type that leaves my skin feeling clean and soft.


Step 3: Treat

This is the point in my routine when I focus on the problem areas of my skin, and this can be different for everyone. I start off with a small pump of the Michael Todd True Organics Anti-Aging Spot and Tone Corrector. This is the most expensive product I use, but I believe it is well worth the price. I know it sounds silly to be using an anti-aging product when I'm only 19 years old, but the reason I use this is to fade any acne scars on my face. These are extremely difficult to fade, and I have found this product to be most effective.


Next, I use the Clinique Acne Solutions All-Over clearing Treatment. I have tried so many different spot treatments, but have found that this all over face treatment is best for me. It works both as a preventative measure for acne that may appear, but also to fight against any active breakouts. This product is 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, which is an ingredient I have found works better than salicylic acid, for me. It's definitely a great find.


Step 4: Moisturize

Throughout the year, I switch between two different moisturizers. During the fall and winter, I stick to my long-loved Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. This product is perfect for hydrating the skin, but not too much that it makes it oily. I've never found a better moisturizer for oily skin.


In the spring and summer, I like to use the Jergens Natural Glow Face Moisturizer. This one adds a little glow to the skin (which is always appreciated during this time of year), and it has some SPF protection in it. Surprisingly, this product has never caused any irritation to my sensitive skin, and it replenishes the perfect amount of moisture after cleansing.


There you have it! My whole skincare routine. I do the exact same thing morning and night, religiously. Creating a routine really makes a difference in how your skincare works for you. It took a long time to get here, but I am happy to have finally arrived.

Stay classy,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment