Monday, July 11, 2016

Be a Little Productive this Summer

Even though I'm so happy to have several months to just relax before school starts back up again, I'm not quite willing to just sit around and do nothing. I've pretty much done that for the first half of the summer, so I want to really buckle down and focus on accomplishing some things during my free time. Here are some of the things I would like to do, that you might find interesting to add to your agenda this summer. 

Make a Reading List 

Having absolutely no free time on my hands during the school year, I find myself desperate to read as many books as I possibly can over the summer months. I spent all school year making a list of books that I wanted to read this summer, knowing that I would have much more leisure time. I've read seven out of the 24, so let's hope I can get through them. Anyway, come up with your own list of books you want to read during the summer. There is nothing I enjoy more than sitting out in the sun and getting lost in a book for hours. I like to have a good mix of fiction and non-fiction. I find that fiction novels expand my imagination and inspire me, while non-fiction educates me and allows me to see different perspectives. Need some ideas for your list? Here are a few books that are on mine: 

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith 
On Writing by Stephen King 
The Ruins of California by Martha Sherrill 
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell 
The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne 
Bird by Bird Anne Lamott 
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green  

Create A Workout Routine

My motivation to work out more is definitely boosted with the nice summer weather. I find it a great time to figure out a good workout routine for myself that I know I can stick to throughout the summer and easily mold to fit my busy schedule once I go back to school. The key is making it a habit, which if you didn't know, takes 21 days to do. Spend your summer forming the habit of working out so that the pressures and responsibilities won't take over once you go back to school.  

Catch Up With Everyone 

Though I thoroughly enjoy spending time with my college friends while I am at school, I dearly miss my friends from home. I always make it a goal to reach out to my friends once I come home and reconnect. The summer is a great time to dedicate to reconnecting with childhood friends. It just gives me that warm, fuzzy feel inside, and of course, I am reminded of the insane amount of inside jokes I have accumulated with them over the years. 

Do Some Summer Cleaning

Not being home in the spring time, I tend to not do the typical "spring cleaning." However, I take full advantage of the opportunity in the summer time. Before heading back to school, I like to just go through my closet and pretty much everything I own to decided if I really need it. The key for this is to be in the right mindset. We all know that we have way to many things that we really don't need, so if you walk into it with that in mind, you will be able to get rid of a whole lot more. I definitely feel that my summer clean out is much more than physical, but mentally therapeutic. Learning from my dad, I have found that it just makes life easier when you have less things. 

Do Some Homework 

Before I am murdered on the spot, let me explain what I mean. One thing that I have really noticed my first summer after college is that I really miss learning. It is nice having a break, but the things I learned in school weren't that bad. I mean, I am now dedicating my studies to what I love, so of course I enjoy it. There is a little emptiness I feel inside of me while I am on break, so why not fill that hole with the type of learning you love. Spend some time this summer doing just a little research, studying, or practicing what you love. The great thing about this is that there are no guidelines. Have you ever been curious about a specific subject in your field? Spend some time learning about it. Again, this is your boundary free summer study time to learn about whatever you want. Why not give it a go?  

Happy summer to all, 

Molly Steckler

Cover photo credit here

No comments:

Post a Comment